NO ONE IS ILLEGAL - TORONTO CALLS FOR OPENING OF BORDERS TO REFUGEES AND MIGRANTS IN RESPONSE TO TRUMP'S TRAVEL BAN
Toronto, January 31, 2017 -- As Parliament debates a Federal response to President Trump's travel ban on all refugees as well as immigration from seven Muslim majority countries, migrant justice organization No One Is Illegal - Toronto, is calling for opening of the US-Canada border to refugees and migrant fleeing violence or facing deportation. Nearly 35,000 people have already signed a petition calling for an end to the Safe Third Country Agreement and that immediate steps be taken to allow special consideration of humanitarian and compassionate reasons for entry to Canada as enabled by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
No One Is Illegal - Toronto is reiterating the call for 'real policy not platitudes' and demanding the following changes endorsed by dozens of groups across Canada be made immediately:
TRUDEAU: CONDEMN TRUMP
* Condemn President Trump’s Executive Order that bans Muslim visa-holders from seven countries and also bans all refugees from entering the US.
OPEN THE BORDERS
* Open the Canada-US border and grant permanent, not temporary, status.
* Revoke the Safe Third Country Agreement which bars most refugee claimants entering from the United States over land to claim asylum in Canada.
* Eliminate the Designated Country of Origin list, which makes it almost impossible for US citizens and citizens of forty other countries to claim asylum in Canada.
* Remove all caps on refugee applications and sponsorship.
STATUS FOR ALL
* End immigration detention and deportation.
* Create a regularization program so that all undocumented residents can live here with their families rather than fear mass deportation.
* Migrant workers in Canada must be given permanent status and open work permits.
* Create real, not symbolic, Sanctuaries (Sanctuary Provinces) that guarantee access to public services
* End collaboration between Canadian and American border agents.
END RACIST, ANTI-REFUGEE, ANTI-BLACK, ISLAMOPHOBIC EXCLUSION
* Rescind all legislation that attacks racialized Black and Brown Muslims and refugees.
* Revoke the Zero Tolerance for Barbaric Cultural Practices Act
* End anti-terror legislation such as Security Certificates and Bill C51.